Senior Field Scientist
Justin has a BS in Geography from Utah State University and over 10 years of technical field experience in both the public and private sector. His specialities include environmental research, monitoring, and study design.
His early work at ERI involved habitat mapping, hydrological monitoring, and benthic invertebrate identification associated with the recovery of the razorback sucker and Colorado pikeminnow in the Colorado River Basin. Since then his involvement in field research has included fisheries, vegetation, wetlands, wildlife, water quality, soil contamination, and hazardous waste projects and he holds the role of ERI's Senior Field Scientist. A long-time member of the Bear Lake Yacht Club, Justin can often be found on his 25-foot sailboat. When the weather becomes too cold for sailing, snowmobiling becomes his leisure time activity of choice.
- Razorback Sucker (Xyrauchen texanus) Augmentation Ponds Limnological Study, Farmington, New Mexico. Field scientist
- FERC Licensing Dorena Lake Project, Oregon. Field Scientist for studies associated with fisheries, water quality, and benthic invertebrates. Most current investigation: Row River Juvenile Salmonid Investigations and Habitat Mapping and Seasonal Abundance Surveys. Cottage Grove, Oregon.
- Cross Cut Canal Fisheries Investigations. Fisheries Entrainment Study and Population Surveys. Henry's Fork of the Snake River, Idaho (2005). Field Scientist.
- Wetland determination for two properties that may be affected by commercial development. Field scientist and data analyst.
- Navajo-Gallup Water Supply Project, New Mexico BOR Environmental Assessment. Field Scientist for biological studies associated with the EA.
- Navajo-Gallup Water Supply Project, New Mexico BOR Biological Assessment. Field Scientist for biological studies associate with the BA.
- Aquatic habitat mapping on the San Juan River associated with the recovery of the Razorback Sucker in Utah and New Mexico.
- Water quality monitoring on Bear Lake for UP&L dredging activities, Idaho.
- Monthly water quality monitoring on Bear Lake, Utah.
- Water quality monitoring and transect recording on the Thomas Fork of the Bear River, Idaho.
- Water quality monitoring Cutler Marsh, Utah.
- Water quality monitoring Stansbury Lake, Utah.
Professional Societies and Certifications
OSHA 40-Hour HAZWOPER certification
Utah UST Groundwater and Soil Sampling certification
Army Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation and Management Training (Salt Lake City 2005)
Abbreviated List of Past Projects
- FERC Licensing Hebgen Lake Project, Montana. Fisheries and wildlife studies
- FERC Licensing Chester Diversion Project, Idaho. Fisheries wildlife and recreation studies
- FERC Relicensing Buffalo River Project, Idaho Fisheries, wildlife, and recreation studies.
- Digitized habitat mapping and delineation of 12 strata in the Colorado River. Data was used as part of a food-web study for Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.
- Creating site maps for new developments and any associated T&E species found in the area St. George, Utah.
- Creation of GIS database for irrigation districts in Box Elder County, Utah.
- Collection of water quality and biological data on the San Juan River for use in a backwater productivity study, New Mexico and Utah.
- Long-term mapping of habitat types on the San Juan River, New Mexico and Utah.
- Project oversight, design, and construction of steel fish cages for experimental trout rearing on large irrigation canals, New Mexico.
- Fish salvage in a power canal associate with the Horseshoe Bend Hydroelectric Project, Idaho.
- Water quality monitoring of 60 sites on the Bear River and its tributaries for an Idaho TMDL.
- Water quality monitoring on the Bear River and its tributaries for a Utah TMDL.
- Quarterly water quality monitoring and reservoir profiling in Island Park Reservoir, Idaho.
- Quarterly sampling of macroinvertebrates on the Henrys Fork River, Idaho.
- Threatened and endangered plant surveys in association with the Animas-La Plata Project.
- Threatened and endangered plant surveys in association with the Ainsworth Irrigation District lands in Cherry/Brown counties, Nebraska.
- Threatened and endangered plant surveys in association with the Navajo-Gallup Water Supply Project, New Mexico.
- Water quality monitoring on small streams for export coefficients associated with grazing activities in Idaho and northern Nevada.
- Surveying of rainbow and brown trout populations in the Henrys Fork River, Idaho.
- Surveying of rainbow and brown trout populations in the Madison River drainage, Montana.
- Taxonomical studies of benthic invertebrates of the San Juan (New Mexico), Snake Rivers (Idaho), and Madison Rivers (Montana).
- Telluride Hazardous Waste Remediation. Lead Investigator. Sampled ground and surface water as well as removal of 400 yards of contaminated soils in Telluride, Colorado. 2001.
- Foster Construction, located in Logan, Utah. Lead Investigator. Performed site assessment and limited subsurface investigations for AST release. Removed 20 yds of contaminated soil to an approved site, created maps and designed a closure plan.
- Trenton Feed, located in Trenton, Utah. Lead Investigator. Performed subsurface investigations of facilities and aboveground storage tanks. Installed monitoring wells, and created maps of the contaminated areas. 1998.
- San Juan Selenium Remediation. Sampled and documented selenium contamination in the local soils and irrigation return flows for the Navajo Indian Irrigation Project. Farmington, New Mexico. 1998.
Environmental Assessments (Phase I and Phase II)
- Icon Health and Fitness Properties: performed environmental site assessments and reviewed subsurface investigation reports on five facilities located in Utah and Texas. 2003.
- Leucadia Financial: performed environmental site assessment on Daynes House, Salt Lake City, Utah. 2003.
- Nielsons Autobody: performed environmental site assessment on autobody paint shop in Logan, UT. 2002.
- Leucadia Financial: performed environmental site assessment on Parcel 9 housing development in Tooele County, Utah. 2002.
- Hebgen Reservoir Heavy Metal Assessment. Senior Field Scientist for studies associated with water quality problems in the reservoir and in the lower Madison River including arsenic and heavy metal contamination in fishes, invertebrates, and periphyton. West Yellowstone, Montana. 2002-2003.
- Alta Lakes Heavy Metal Assessment. Senior Field Scientist for studies associated with surface water contamination of small streams running through abandoned mine tailings in Telluride, Colorado. 2000-2003.
- Animas River Heavy Metal Assessment. Field Scientist for studies investigating selenium concentrations in the Animas River. Durango, Colorado. 1999.
- Cache Valley Groundwater Study, mapping and sampling of contaminants in Cache Valley Groundwater, Utah. 1999.